Thursday, January 24, 2008

My 2008 Ballot Proposal

Budget Cuts
Our country is in a terrible mess, which has led a larger than average percentage of the nation to be glued to the 2008 presidential election. I think it is great that so many people are watching the election and looking to make change, but we have another problem on the horizon--the problem of uninformed or, for the lack of a politically correct term, dumb voters.

I am extremely grateful to live in a free country, even if it has become less such over the past decade. I also cherish the fact that we live in a democracy, because history and common sense informs us that the voice of the people will usually pick the best candidate. I also think it was essential that the right to vote was afforded to all people regardless of race, gender, or economic status. In the early days of the country that right was only afforded to the land owners and wealthy elite, because it was viewed that they were in the best position to make such decisions for the common good. Yeah right!

So where am I going with this? We have the responsibility as citizens to make informed decisions. Not to vote for a candidate just because they tell us what we want to hear or make us feel warm and fuzzy inside. We shouldn't vote or not vote for a candidate because they are a certain color, religion, or gender. We should judge each candidate by not only their words but more importantly their track record, their character, and the merits of their campaign. While I think affording all citizens the right to vote is critical, I wish there were some way to weed out the bad apples.

So here is my simple proposal for the 2008 ballot. The first part of the ballot is a 10 question quiz asking basic economic, civic, and political questions that any voter should know. Once the ballot is completed and turned in, the electronic counter first grades the 10 question quiz. If the voter passes (say a score of 50% or more), their vote is added to the totals, but if they fail the ballet is sent to a shredder where it belongs. I know it sounds a little harsh, but would it be such a bad thing to force voters to study a little before they cast their ballot?

The voter doesn't even need to know if they passed or not. Although, it would be funny to print off a little score sheet with a little Uncle Sam giving them the thumbs up or down. So in submitting my proposal, I thought I'd write a sample quiz for the 2008 ballot. Please let me know if you have any good questions to add.

Sample Ballot Quiz (true or false):
  1. Social Security is a great program and the government should be able to force how I invest my money for retirement because I'm not responsible enough.
  2. Socialized Health Care is good because it is fun to wait 6 months to see a doctor or to have everyone with a sneeze or sniffle in the emergency room ahead of me.
  3. I can't wait for our currency to change to the Amero!
  4. I'd like my government to tag me with a RFID chip like a typical family pet because that would solve the immigration problem the government doesn't want to fix.
  5. The Federal Reserve, which controls the nation's money supply, is under the umbrella of the government and is not a privately owned corporation.
  6. The war in Iraq is about freeing an oppressed people and defending our country against the very people that caused the attack on September 11, 2001.
  7. The National Debt is good because it means I get lots of stuff without paying for it.
  8. I would use the word "FAIR" to describe our trade with China.
  9. I'd gladly give up my freedom and liberties as a citizen to have the government tell me I'm a little bit safer.
  10. The best way to fix a problem is through government regulation.

2 comments:

Chris Kline said...

Here's a newly defined word I came across, which might describe some of your voters:

Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

smallred said...

LOL, the bozone layer. That is great. It would make for a great TV show, "The Bozone Report" or "The Bozone Factor". Maybe it could be one of the questions on the quiz, "Are you a bozone?"