Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm Hungry!

Yesterday I decided to pick up some lunch for the whole family. My oldest daughter, who is 5, insisted on accompanying me. I let her come along, knowing full well what would happen. As soon as the food was in the car, the whining began.

"Daddy, Daddy! I'm soooooo hungry! Can I have a french fry? Please, oh please!"

"No sweet heart, you have to wait till we get home."

"But I'm so hungry; can't I just have one fry?"

This conversation continued for several minutes back and forth, until I pulled out one of the oldest parent lines related to this topic. It is one of those lines you inherit from your parents, but swear you will never use.

"You don't even know what it is to be hungry! There are people, poor people, who are dying and don't have enough food! So don't cry and tell me you're hungry, because you don't know what that even means!"

There was a pause for a couple seconds. "Finally," I thought to myself. Then my daughter spoke up.

"Dad, those people are starving! I'm just very hungry, and I do know what that means!"

I can see my argument winning days are quickly coming to an end.

2 comments:

alison said...

its so hard to argue w/a 5 year old girl--they're just so RIGHT about EVERYTHING! LOL!

Jolayne said...

Reasoning with a five-year old. Easy Schpeasy! Try reasoning with a two-year old with a speech impediment. She says something that sounds like "merry Christmas" so I wish her one too, she says "no" and then something like "merry Christmas" again and I'm supposed to tell the difference.