Monday, January 7, 2008

The Kid Eliminator

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!

This year I tried to put a lot of thought into the presents I purchased for my wife. I really appreciate her and all she does for our family. As one of her stocking stuffers I purchased a pair of commercial-grade ear muffs (ear protection) that will block noise up to 21 dB. On the package I wrote "The Kid Eliminator".

I thought with the ear protection, when I watch the kids, my wife could take a nap, bath, or read a book and it would be like having no kids. Don't get me wrong we both love our kids very much, but sometimes moms and dads need a break from the screaming, crying, nagging, whining, and general horseplay. At this point, some of you are probably thinking, "What a great idea! I need to get a pair of those!" It is funny how kids can take a good idea and turn it upside down on you.

So what has happened? The kids have found the ear muffs and they are a favorite toy now. One of our kids will put the ear muffs on and they will all start jumping on the bed and scream at the top of the lungs. This is, of course, hilarious to them as the one wearing the protection can barely hear the screaming. Then they will switch and repeat the whole exercise. This has increased their noise levels dramatically and turned "The Kid Eliminator" into "The Kid Amplifier". Oh well, if you can't beat them, join them!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Have you thought about giving her a megaphone to yell at the kids with?

Chris Kline said...

That was a sweet Christmas present! Too bad it's being used for diabolical purposes. I think all the wives should have them. Of course, then we can borrow them to work in the garage. I'll need a pair to use with my new air chisel!

Erica said...

Chris- I'm afraid that my husband naturally has these. Whenever the kids are in need of something- if Jamey is playing Play Station or watching TV or looking at the mail- well he might as well have ear muffs on. I guess I could see the use in the garage though.