Sunday, November 4, 2007

Curse You Ron Popeil!

I was watching the kids today and came downstairs to find my 5 year old daughter glued to the TV. I was surprised to find her watching an infomercial for the Ron Popeil knives.

You know what these adds are like, they keep adding more and more free stuff, then finally tell you if you call within the next 15 minutes, you'll get a second set for free. Usually the stuff they sell in these infomercials is garbage, but boy are they convincing. They also make a point to saw through cans, marble, and in this one, even a hammer. Argh! Argh!

I asked my daughter what she was watching and she replied, "Daddy, we need to buy these knives!" I asked what she needed two sets of knives for, and she yelled pointing at the TV, "Hurry, we only have 13 minutes left!"

I broke down laughing, but the fact that a 5 year old girl with absolutely no need for knives would be so sold, made me think. How often do US consumers get suckered into lousy purchases they don't need?

Anyway, I'm proud to say we still do not own a Ron Popeil product. But if you ever feel weak in the knees for something you see on TV, please do an Internet search first. You'll save yourself 3 easy payments of only $XX.XX. Here is just one of the many blog comments about this deal:
"Holy Macraal! I really believe the knives that are being used in a tiny little hut in New Guinea by a shoeless, shirtless 3rd world woman have better quality!!!! I have ALL these knives and nowhere to put them! Used them once and the handles became loose and flimsy. Don't get me started on the way they look after a cycle in the dishmachine; looks like they where dug out of the Titanic! I feel like somebody took my money watted it up into a RONCO solid flavor injector and shoved it right where the [you can guess the rest]!"

2 comments:

Erica said...

We've been there and done it. Not with the knive, but with other stuff and I must tell you somehow the people on TV make it sound so wonderful. The lastest purchuse was a weed eater that Jamey used once and quickly sent back. I wonder if we are ever going to learn our lesson and don't buy stuff from TV!!

Anonymous said...

Liar, liar, pants on fire! Ron Popeil, in his TV infomercial, clearly states that you can get a second set of knives for free--all you have to do is agree to tell someone else about the knives. When I placed my order and expressed interest in the second set, the man told me I would have to pay additional shipping and handling. When I told him about the infomercial, he said, "Check the website." Well, if you look at the website, it just says the second set is free--nothing about more shipping costs. It's stupid for Mr. Popeil to allow such deception--after awhile, no one will by anything from him. Including me. What a sleaze.